Aptitude test? What is that? Well, It’s a test designed to determine a person’s ability in a particular skill or field of knowledge and it mainly contains questions from basic maths and reasoning. One has to finish the test within an allotted time frame and answer as many questions as possible accurately.
Now, that’s not the easiest task for most of us. But fret not, we are here for your rescue!
In this article, I’ll be listing some basic tested tips that you can use to ace your aptitude tests.
- PRESENCE OF MIND: Now, this isn’t rocket science, but one of the most basic things that you need while writing an aptitude test is your presence of mind. Most of the questions there are basic in nature and can be easily solved with logic. So, take a deep breath and relax your nerves before you sit for your exam
- KEEP YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS HANDY.: What makes an aptitude test different from any other test is the time factor! You cannot waste your minutes in lengthy calculations. So, use the tricks that you practiced while preparing for your exam. And even better is to keep a list of those handy for last minute revision.
- PRACTICE A LOT ONLINE.: Reminds me of the old adage, “Practice makes a man perfect”.
Honestly speaking, nothing can prepare you better for a test than practicing questions again and again. You can go to websites like Campusgate, Online Job Exam Preparation for Placement and Aptitude Questions and Answers for the same.
- KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GONNA DEAL WITH. :Contact the company you’re applying to and find out what sort of format your tests you’ll be expected to sit and what format they will be in. Employers are increasingly testing candidates using computers so it’s most important to practice questions in this format so as to make yourself comfortable with it. We tend to panic when something unexpected comes in front of us. So, what’s better than to prepare in advance for it?!
- THINK LOGICALLY.: In a quest to solve questions as soon as possible with the formulas that we learned, we tend to switch off the logical part of our brain. It’s something we do unconsciously but it does more harm than what we can take. So remember while you’re using your formulas, read the question properly and try solving it with basic logic first rather than using elaborate formulas. Better being street smart than a learned fool, right?
- PLAN YOUR TIME PROPERLY.: It’s very important that you plan your time according to the number of questions and the difficulty level. Giving too much time to certain questions will leave you with no time for some. So be careful or you’ll end up thinking “How did it get so late so soon?” This is the most crucial point in your aptitude test preparation.
- KEEP YOUR TOOLS READY.: Your watch, sufficient A4 size sheets, extra pens, calculator and everything you might possibly need- keep it all handy to minimise wastage of time.
- IT’S TIME, MOVE ON!: Don’t get bogged down on certain trick questions, first do the ones that are easily answerable and scoring. Do the rest of the time-consuming ones in the end! Remember that if you get stuck in one such question, you’ll probably end up doing just that one question.
So be smart, and try to do as many questions as possible and leave the difficult one for last.
- QUICK OVERVIEW.: Spend a few seconds familiarising yourself with the type of questions, the graphs, tables, diagrams before you start solving the paper. This will give you an overview of what you’ll expect and prepare your brain for the same!
DON’T PANIC.: Last, but not the least. DON’T PANIC. This is one of the most important points to keep in your mind while you give an exam. There might be questions you don’t know answers to, but that isn’t the end of the world. Stay calm and see how you rock your exams.
These simple yet crucial points will definitely help you in your aptitude test preparation.